About Me

I'm a teacher who is still quite new to poetry writing. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them and I'd welcome any comments or thoughts you may have.

Thursday 27 September 2007

Effective Exercising That Works

As promised then. My take on proper exercise and my attempt to get more people onto the bench press and off the cross-trainer.

I'm not going to list a load of exercises here with specific sets and reps. You can find out what exercise does what from any gym instructor or exercise book.

My point is, aim to do 3 sets of whatever movement you do. Make sure the most you can possibly perform is 7 reps. As soon as you start making 8 and 9, up the weights. After a few weeks at it, up the sets to 5 too.

Train two body parts at a time, choosing combinations from back, chest, legs, biceps and triceps. Work the abs in every session.

Don't train more than 4 days a week. And never work a muscle group that's still sore. So if the triceps are hurting, stay away from pushing exercises.

Take a good protein supplement before and after training, and during the rest-day after exercise. It does make difference.

A session should last no longer than 45 minutes (an hour tops) without rushing. It might not sound long. You might not feel like your working very hard, doing low reps with high weight. That's OK. Just remember - you are eating into your energy stores, not breaking down the muscle and fitness you already have.

NB These are just my opinions based on my own experience. Everyone should consult a qualified expert before exercising.

No comments: