About Me

I'm a teacher who is still quite new to poetry writing. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them and I'd welcome any comments or thoughts you may have.

Tuesday 1 July 2008

Space

Imagine a sunlit Sunday evening,
after a long day of heavy rainstorms.
See all the coloured laundry pegs scattered
on the wet grass beneath the washing line.

I must show you the empty wine bottle,
dangerously peering over the edge.
A climber planning his final descent
from the mantle high above the fireplace.

Look outside my window into the street.
Feel the cool shadows sliding down the walls
of the houses across the road right now.
Watch all those well tended hanging baskets

swaying their colours in the drifting breeze.
In the distance a car door closes shut.
Hosts say their goodbyes to well fed lunch guests,
who express their thanks for food and company.

Then there is the thing that only we share.
The thing only we can see, sense and feel.
The straight blue lines of purest energy,
forking out and bridging the great chasm.

You and I, now strangers no more.

No comments: