About Me

I'm a teacher who is still quite new to poetry writing. I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them and I'd welcome any comments or thoughts you may have.

Thursday 19 June 2008

Poetry Reading By Bernard O'Donoghue

Last weekend I went to my first poetry reading. It was part of the Beverley Literature Festival. Bernard discussed his experiences of reading and growing up with books in Ireland. He came across as a lovely man, very knowledgeable (as you would expect I suppose).
I was amazed by the questions the audience put to him and I must admit, most of it went over my head.
But his poetry was superb. It was the first time I had heard or read any of it. Listening to him reminded me of something Billy Collins said about writing for the reader - how it was like inventing a new card game. If you turn all the cards face up, then it's too obvious and there's no game. But likewise, if you deal them all face down, all you have are 52 bits of obscurity. Bernard seems to understand this perfectly and for me his poems have a perfect balance of obscurity and clarity. He made it sound so easy. But of course this kind of writing only comes with skill and craftsmanship. Next reading? June 6th - Carol Ann Duffy!

No comments: